08 June 2015

Bootea: the party's over


After getting sucked in by clever Instagram marketing, before and after photos, and a colour scheme reminiscent of the bedroom I grew up in, I decided to try the Bootea 14 day Teadox.

January is the time for detoxing, apparently. And now, we're lucky enough to have enough products aimed at us suckers to kick our ass, or metabolism, into gear.

But I had a lot of questions that I wish someone had answered for me before I started throwing the tea party.

How does it taste?

The day one is isn't great, the night one is worse. Don't brew it for too long, and keep your cups small. If you still have to pinch your nose and down it, it's probably not your, er, cup of tea.
 ✌ 


Did it help you lose weight?

Sometimes people claim that they experience a laxative effect - which is probably the cause of any weight loss. Did it cause a laxative effect for me? Only once. And it caused me to waddle out of the office at such a high speed it was like Pingu trying to win a 100m sprint.

So no, it didn't help me lose any weight. It gives you a caffeinated kick start in the morning which could be an incentive to hit the gym, while the night tea is like a guilt-free sleeping pill. It gives you such fantastic sleep you might actually have the energy to go to the gym.
 

Would you recommend it?

I'm not very good at committing to anything two teas a day, so I wasn't the strictest specimen. So my results might be off and you might have to take them with a pinch of sugar.

Ultimately, I like to think the point of Bootea - apart from to pray on body insecurities - is to teach you about what tea can do for you. Since Bootea, I'm a convert to green teas: Clipper, Twinings, pure, or with lemon, mango and lychee, or salted caramel flavour. However, it still tastes like green tea, and if you brew it too long, you'll never drink it.

If you're willing to look beyond the brand, the innovative packaging, and not fall for the "magic of weight loss" messaging, then you might as well just invest in some green tea. They're probably better for you, they come in far nicer flavours and they're definitely kinder on your bank accounts.
 ✌ 

Detox conducted in January 2015, Bootea purchased from Holland & Barrett.

No comments: